Alternate name: Meenacuing
Fuel type: Sod peat
After the end of World War II, the Irish Government committed to an extensive programme of bog development to be overseen by Bord na Móna. Four identical 5MW turf burning stations were built at Gweedore, Screebe, Miltown Malbay and Cahirciveen in 1957, at a cost of £500,000 each.
ESB also built seven other peat stations in the 1950s and 1960s, including Allenwood, Bellacorick, Ferbane, Lanesborough, Portarlington, Shannonbridge and Rhode.
In one of the most spectacularly beautiful sites that anyone could have picked for such a project, on the shores of a lake at the foot of towering Errigal, and ringed by scenery that carries the eye to heaven, Gweedore station stands like a monument to the achievement of the local people who play a large part in the station’s success.
– James J McAuley for the ESB Journal, 1963
Lovely photos and great information. Just beautiful memories