Fuel type: Hydro
Clady station sits 50km northwest of Letterkenny, Co Donegal, and utilises a Francis-type Turbine. Construction started in 1954, with the station going into full operation in 1959, when it also synchronised to the Donegal 38 kV network.
Two lakes form the basis of this scheme: Dunlewey Lough and Lough Nacung are situated in a valley 61m above sea level and are drained by the Clady River, which enters the sea at Bunbeg.
- Dunlewey Lough and Lough Nacung were enlarged to provide the storage capacity needed.
- The level of Dunlewey Lough has been raised by the construction of the Cung Dam at the promontory between the two lakes.
- The Clady River has been partially diverted by Gweedore Weir into a 2.5 km canal. This runs to the rim of a deep valley which forms the tidal estuary of the Gweedore River.
- A 500m steel penstock carries the water from the canal to the generating station at sea level.
Click the images in the gallery below to read more about the construction and operation of Clady station.