Poolbeg station actually consists of two separate power stations:
Fuel type: Oil; Natural Gas
Second tower added: 1978
Current name: Poolbeg CCGT station
Fuel type: Gas
Commissioned: 1994; 1998
The City of Dublin Electricity Works founded Pigeon House Power Station in 1903 and the site supplied most of Dublin’s electricity until the 1950s.
We took over the site in 1971 and the station has been through several technology changes since then. The first two 120MW sets were originally oil-fired – the first set were commissioned in August 1971 and the second set were commissioned in December 1971. A new 270MW set was added in November 1978. Boilers 2 and 3 were converted to gas incrementally, with both fully commissioned in May 1984. The conversion of boiler 1 to gas was completed by July 1984, and the three sets were fully synchronised in March 1985, at a combined capacity of 510MW.
More recently, in 2000, we upgraded Poolbeg to use combined gas cycle technology (CCGT). At the time, this brought the CCGT unit thermal efficiency to 52% and overall output to 480 MW. The CCGT technology includes: two Siemens V94.2 gas turbines, two Siemens/Austrian Energy Heat Recover Steam Generators (boilers) and one Siemens steam turbine. Siemens electrical generators are fitted to each of the two gas turbines and steam turbine.
Finally, on 31 March 2010, we retired Poolbeg Units 1, 2 and 3, leaving the station’s output at 480MW MW from the CCGT unit.
Click the images below for more information relating to the operation of Poolbeg station.