Fuel types: Oil; gas
North Wall was our first thermal power plant, commissioned in 1949.
In 1982, we converted the station from an oil-fired operation to a combined cycle plant running on gas and distillate, installing two new GE frame 9E gas turbines and a waste heat recovery boiler. This provided a repowered combined cycle gas turbine (CCGT) arrangement and a separate open gas cycle turbine (OCGT).
Overall, this increased North Wall’s output from 51MW to 260MW. It also became the most efficient thermal station in the fleet at the time and led the way for other station conversions to CCGT technology.
In 1997, we installed low nitrogen oxide burners to further reduce our environmental impact – the first ever successful retrofit of this kind of equipment. In 2012, we converted the CCGT arrangement to OCGT and the station now provides 106MW this way.
Click the images below for more information relating to the operation of North Wall station.