Number Twenty Nine on Dublin’s Fitzwilliam Street Lower, was first used by ESB in 1928. The building was used for office purposes until the late 1980s. It was one of ten houses on Fitzwilliam Street Lower and on Mount Street Upper restored by ESB in 1988.
The house was opened to the public as a museum in 1991 to celebrate Dublin’s status as European Cultural Capital for that year. It was run by ESB in association with the National Museum of Ireland as an exhibition of Dublin home life for the period 1790 to 1820.
Number Twenty Nine, Fitzwilliam Street is a moderate dwelling, three bays wide, with a frontage of 28 feet, and a depth of nearly 50 feet. The external proportions of these Georgian townhouses are based upon those of a classical column. Window height increases from the basement through to the first floor piano nobile. From that point it decreases as far as the attic storey. Beautiful as these houses were, those of a smaller scale in Fitzwilliam Street were more generic in character than their Merrion Square counterparts. To learn more about the history of this house, click the links below.