This ESB logo, depicting a flash of electricity over water, was designed by Frank Brandt in the early 1930s to symbolise the production of electricity from the Shannon Scheme. The logo is pictured above on the doors to ESB Offices in Chapel St, Dundalk.
Another example of an ESB logo from the 1930s. Usually used in print advertisements for the ESB Showrooms at 25 St Stephen’s Green, Dublin.
This is the earliest recorded ESB logo, used in a number of print advertisements (example below). It was used in the late 1920s and the 1930s.
In Ireland in the 1930s electricity was a marvellous technology and, while available in towns and cities from local suppliers since the turn of the century, its use was limited. ESB had to convince the population at large that electricity was not only perfectly safe but also easy to use and would change their lives… Continue Reading
From the beginning, ESB realised that the education of the public on the progress and possibilities of the Shannon Scheme were essential to its success. Following a visit to the United States, the company’s first managing director Dr Thomas McLaughlin recommended that a Public Relations Department be established. On 1 July 1928, ESB appointed Dublin… Continue Reading
The construction of the Shannon Hydro-Electric Scheme at Ardnacrusha, Co Clare was one of the most important under-takings for the economic and social life of Ireland...