Electricity in the county before ESB
Wexford had electricity before the establishment of ESB in 1927. ESB’s annual reports record 9 local electricity suppliers in the county — that means 9 individuals or companies who had permits to commercially supply electricity to 3 or more homes and businesses in their local area. The reports do not record when each local supplier was first established, merely the number of consumers they supplied, as well as the year the supplier was acquired by ESB.
Click here to view Wexford on our interactive map.
Wexford’s 9 local electricity providers were as follows:
- Newtownbarry Electric Light and Power Co. Ltd. was in operation before ESB was established in 1927, also serving Bunclody. It supplied 100 homes and businesses in 1929, before the supply was acquired by ESB around 1937—1938.
- John Kenny supplied electricity in Campile before 1927 until 1941, when the supply was taken over by Mary Kenny. The Kennys served 3 homes and businesses in 1929, rising to 4 in 1942, when the supply was acquired by ESB.
- Enniscorthy Urban District Council was in operation before 1927. It supplied 160 homes and businesses, and was acquired by ESB in November 1928.
- John Bolger and Co. Ltd. supplied electricity in Ferns before 1927. He supplied 2 homes and businesses in 1929, before the supply was acquired by ESB around 1934—1935.
- Patrick C Lett supplied electricity in Ferns before 1927. He supplied 1 home or business in 1929, and the supply was acquired by ESB around 1934—1935.
- New Ross Gas and Electricity Supply Co. Ltd. was in operation before 1927. It supplied 140 homes and businesses in 1929, falling to 100 in 1931, when it was acquired by ESB.
- Michael J Hearne at the Chilcomb Mills also supplied electricity to New Ross from 1931 until its acquisition by ESB in 1934, serving 1 home or business.
- The Corporation of Wexford supplied electricity before 1927. The number of homes and businesses it served is unrecorded, and it was acquired by ESB in July 1928.
- James J Stafford and Sons supplied electricity in Wexford town before 1927. It supplied 5 homes and businesses in 1929, when it was acquired by ESB.
Shannon Scheme: connecting larger towns and villages to the national grid
The Shannon Scheme first began to generate electricity for the national grid in October 1929, and began to supply the larger cities, towns and villages of Ireland. From 1929, 11 towns and villages across Wexford were directly supplied by the Shannon Scheme:
- Bunclody, 1937—1938
- Campile, 1943—1944
- Carrickduff, 1937—1938
- Enniscorthy, 1930
- Ferns, 1934—1935
- Ferrybank, 1929—1930
- Kilrane, 1935—1936
- New Ross, 1930
- Rosslare Harbour, 1935—1936
- Taghmon, 1941—1942
- Wexford, 1929
For more information on the connection of these towns, for instance relating to the number of homes and businesses connected, see our connections map here.
Rural Electrification Scheme: connecting rural townlands and villages to the national grid
The Rural Electrification Scheme began in 1946, to bring electricity to Ireland’s rural areas, including smaller villages. During the roll-out of the scheme, Wexford was divided into 34 rural areas. More details on each of these areas is available here.
Since 1927, 1 generating station has been built in Wexford. Click the link below to read more.