Electricity in the county before ESB
Mayo had electricity before the establishment of ESB in 1927. ESB’s annual reports record 10 local electricity suppliers in the county — that means 10 individuals or companies who had permits to commercially supply electricity to 3 or more homes and businesses in their local area. The reports do not record when each local supplier was first established, merely the number of consumers they supplied, as well as the year the supplier was acquired by ESB.
Click here to view Mayo on our interactive map.
Mayo’s 10 local electricity providers were as follows:
- Joseph Murphy supplied electricity in Ballina and Crocketstown before 1927. He supplied 3 homes and businesses in 1929, and was acquired by ESB around 1929—1930.
- Ballinrobe Electric and Woollen Co. Ltd. on Bridge Street, was in operation before 1927. It supplied 136 homes and businesses in 1929, rising to 278 in 1948, when it was acquired by ESB.
- EW Griffith supplied electricity in Ballindine before 1927. He supplied 25 homes and businesses in 1929, and was later acquired by ESB around 1942—1943.
- John Conway of The Premier House, Ballyhaunis, supplied electricity before 1927. He supplied 3 homes and businesses in 1929, rising to 6 in 1932, when the supply was acquired by ESB.
- BT Lynch of Main Street, Ballyhaunis, also supplied electricity before 1927. He supplied 4 homes and businesses in 1929, and was later acquired by ESB around 1932—1933.
- M McEntyre of McEntyre’s Stores, began to supply electricity in Belmullet and Charlestown in 1931, initially supplying 11 homes and businesses, rising to 1956, when the supply was acquired by ESB.
- Joseph Burke and Sons supplied electricity in Castlebar before 1927. They supplied 148 homes and businesses in 1929, rising to 173 in 1930, and was acquired by ESB in June 1930.
- PP Condon, Achonry supplied electricity in Charlestown before 1927. He supplied 82 homes and businesses in 1929, rising to 98 in 1935, , when it was acquired by ESB.
- Michael Snee began to supply electricity in Kilkelly in 1932, supplying 20 homes and businesses, before being later acquired by ESB around 1935—1936.
- Swinford Board of Health at the County Home supplied electricity before 1927. It supplied 118 homes and businesses in 1929, and was acquired by ESB in March 1929.
Shannon Scheme: connecting larger towns and villages to the national grid
The Shannon Scheme first began to generate electricity for the national grid in October 1929, and began to supply the larger cities, towns and villages of Ireland. From 1929, 17 towns and villages across Mayo were directly supplied by the Shannon Scheme:
- Ballina, June 1930
- Ballinrobe 1947—1948
- Ballyhaunis, 1932—1933
- Bellahy, 1935—1936
- Castlebar, March 1931
- Charlestown, 1935—1936
- Claremorris, July 1930
- Crocketstown, June 1930
- Crossmolina, August, 1930
- Foxford, July 1930
- Kilkelly, 1942—1943
- Killala, 1941—1942
- Kiltimagh, June 1930
- Louisburgh, 1948—1949
- Newport, 1937—1938
- Swinford, October 1930
- Westport, June 1930
For more information on the connection of these towns, for instance relating to the number of homes and businesses connected, see our connections map here.
Rural Electrification Scheme: connecting rural townlands and villages to the national grid
The Rural Electrification Scheme began in 1946, to bring electricity to Ireland’s rural areas, including smaller villages. During the roll-out of the scheme, Mayo was divided into 56 rural areas. More details on each of these areas is available here.
Post-development: connecting the islands to the national grid
To date, 6 islands off the coast of Mayo have been connected to the grid:
- Achill Island, 1953
- Clare Island, 1998 (previously connected 1970s via diesel generator)
- Inishgort, c2000
- Inishlyre, 2000
- Island More, c2000
Inishturk remains unconnected to the national network — however, electricity is available on the island, at first powered by single phase diesel generator from 1987, which was later upgraded to three-phase in 2003.
For more information on the connection of this island, see our connections map here.
Since 1927, 1 generating station has been built in Mayo. Click the link below to read more.