Electricity in the county before ESB
Clare had electricity before the establishment of ESB in 1927. ESB’s annual reports record 8 local electricity suppliers in the county — that means 8 individuals or companies who had permits to commercially supply electricity to 3 or more homes and businesses in their local area. The reports do not record when each local supplier was first established, merely the number of consumers they supplied, as well as the year the supplier was acquired by ESB.
Clare’s 8 local electricity providers were as follows:
- RW D’Vine at the Rink Cinema, Ennis , supplied electricity in the town before ESB was established in 1927. The number of homes and businesses he served is not recorded, and his supply was acquired by ESB around 1928—1929.
- The Convent of Mercy, Ennis , supplied electricity in the town before 1927, and is recorded as serving 2 homes and businesses in 1929. Its supply was acquired by ESB around 1930—1931.
- Michael McMahon, based in O’Connell Square, Ennis, also supplied electricity in the town before 1927. He is recorded as serving only 1 home or business by 1929, and his supply was acquired by ESB around 1930—1931.
- Kilkee Electricity Supply Co. Ltd. was in operation before 1927. It served 188 homes and businesses in 1929 , rising to 268 in 1938. It was acquired by ESB between 1938—1939.
- Kilrush Electric Light and Power Co. Ltd. was in operation before 1927. It served 201 homes and businesses in 1929 , rising to 379 consumers in 1938 . It was acquired by ESB between 1938—1939.
- Sixmilebridge Electric Light and Power Co. was in operation before 1927. It served 17 homes and businesses in 1929. In 1933, it changed its name to James O’Flynn and Sons, Ltd., and is recorded as serving 39 homes and businesses in 1949 . It was acquired by ESB 1949—1950.
- E McLysaght supplied electricity in Raheen, Tuamgraney before ESB was established. He served 4 homes and businesses in 1945, and his supply was acquired by ESB around 1945.
Shannon Scheme: connecting larger towns and villages to the national grid
The Shannon Scheme first began to generate electricity for the national grid in October 1929, and began to supply the larger cities, towns and villages of Ireland. From 1929, 18 towns and villages across Clare were directly supplied by the Shannon Scheme:
- Ballygirreen, 1937—1938
- Clarecastle, 1935—1936
- Clonlara, 1932—1933
- Ennis, 1929—1930
- Ennistymon, 1934—1935
- Kilfenora, 1945—1946
- Kilkishen, 1936—1937
- Kilkee, 1938—1939
- Kilrush, 1938—1939
- Killaloe, 1930
- Lahinch, 1934—1935
- Lisdoonvarna, 1934—1935
- Miltown Malbay, 1934—1935
- O’Briens Bridge, 1944—1945
- Rineanna, 1937—1938
- Sixmilebridge, 1949—1950
- Tulla, 1936—1937
For more information on the connection of these towns, for instance relating to the number of homes and businesses connected, see our connections map here.
Rural Electrification Scheme: connecting rural townlands and villages to the national grid
The Rural Electrification Scheme began in 1946, to bring electricity to Ireland’s rural areas, including smaller villages. During the roll-out of the scheme, Clare was divided into 40 rural areas. More details on each of these areas is available here.
Since 1925, 3 generating stations have been built in Clare. Click the links below to read more about each station.