ESB employee Desmond Mulvany pictured above (left) at the harbour by Pigeon House station in 1946.
Having previously been employed as an electrician in the UK throughout WWII, Desmond Mulvany moved home to Ireland and joined ESB in June 1946. Over the course of his career, he was employed at Fleet Street, Pigeon House and Polefield in Dublin. In October 1953, Desmond was transferred to ESB Galway District to work on the roll out of the Rural Electrification Scheme. He later returned to ESB’s Central Stores at Lower Erne Street in Dublin. Desmond passed away on 1 February 1957.
With thanks to Desmond’s son, Peter, who kindly got in touch with us to share this father’s ESB story. Peter followed in his father’s footsteps in his early career, working as a storeman in ESB’s Central Stores from 1969 until 1980, and then in Poolbeg station until he left ESB in 1984.