Our rural electrification exhibition in the Carlow County Museum ran until April 2017.
The exhibition featured original appliances and farm machinery from the 1940s to 1960s including the electric milking and butter machines photographed above.
The exhibition also contained original photographs and artefacts tracing the development of electricity in the county from the installation of Ireland’s first public lighting in Carlow town in 1891, through the roll out of the Rural Electrification Scheme under the supervision of Carlow man PJ Dowling, to the upgrade of the system in the 1990s during the Network Renewal Programme (NRP).
You can find out much more online about rural electrification in Carlow by clicking here.
Carlow County Museum
Carlow County Museum and Tourist Office is located on College Street in Carlow Town, and admission is free. Click here to see location on google maps
Sun & Bank Hol (Jun-Aug):
Phone (059) 9131554 or email email@example.com for more information.
We would like to thank all those who helped in assembling this exhibition, particularly: Dermot Mulligan, Curator of the Carlow County Museum and his staff; Designer and Printer Doug Poole & Adrian Mc Donnell, Jones Business Systems; Máire Uí Iarnáin, Seirbhís Ghairmiúil Aistriúcháin; Bernard O’Connell, Manager in ESB Customer Services, Tipperary; and the Corbett Family for the use of a number of photographs.
Dairy equipment display with thanks to Bernard O’Connell and photograph by ESB©2016 Kevin Byrne Photography