Started: August 1950
Finished: July 1951
Poles used: 687
Line used (km): 63
Premises connected: 144
The map above shows the area boundary and is from a digitised version of the original map used during the scheme.
An initial survey was conducted in the Golden rural area in Co Tipperary circa May 1950, which covered 17.65 sq miles. The estimated cost of implementing the scheme was recorded as £15,040.00.
From a total of 295 houses, there were: 265 acceptances of the scheme; 19 refusals; 1 ‘doubtful’; and 10 recorded as vacant.
Running water comes to Golden
The vital role of voluntary organisations in the success of the scheme, as well as the subsequent roll out of water schemes across Ireland, is captured in the following report printed in REO News in September 1949: