On 22nd October, 1957, the Cahirciveen power station was brought into operation in Co. Kerry. After the end of World War II, the Irish Government committed to an extensive programme of bog development to be overseen by Bord na Móna. Four identical turf burning stations were built at Gweedore, Screeb, Miltown Malbay and Cahirciveen, at a cost of £500,000 each. The station employed 20 staff from the surrounding area, and was designed to burn 30,000 tonnes of locally produced turf annually. In 1990, a record 24,147 tonnes of turf was consumed producing a record 18,184,000 kilowatt-hours. Cahirciveen power station closed in 2003.
To view more information relating to the station in PDF format, click on the image on the left.